Pages

Sunday, December 15

Scars of Who We Are: The Final Chapter.


Scars of Who We Are chapter 17
~A little talent is a good thing to have if you want to be a writer. But the only requirement is the ability to remember every scar.-Stephen King

Why you can never go home again.
There I was, staring up into the face of my step-father, his face twisting in rage.
“I had three hundred dollars in my wallet and I want you to give it back to me!” He screams shoving again, harder against the wall and panic grips my body as my mouth goes dry, fear is all I feel. So I say nothing, as he shouting his accusations into my face, drilling me with questions, never waiting for me to answer.
He shoves me three or four more times and I can't help but feel as if he's trying to provoke me, my fear gives way to self-righteous indignation and I step into him and shout,
 “I didn't take your damn money, I never touched your fucking wallet, feel free to search me and go through my things, because I don’t have it, then once you’re finished, I’m done with you and this family, never again will pull this kind of crap on me." 

For a moment, he looks like he's about to hit me and he draws his fist back, but I stand firm, making it a point not to so much as flinch. I'm ready for blow, but it never comes, dropping his fist, he instead jabs me in the chest with his finger.
“I want my money,” He shouts, bringing his face so close to mine I can feel his breath on me, as he says,    “And I WILL search you and you'll do whatever I tell you to do." 
He then orders me to put my hands behind my head and then proceeds to frisk me, even though all I'm wearing is a t-shirt and my boxers.
           I comply, even though all I want to do is shove him away and tell him to go screw himself, but I don't and I abide by the violation of his hands patting me down and searching for what I know is nothing. Seeing him uniform intimidates me more than I care to say. 

“What the hell is this?” I ask equal parts offended and violated by the absurdity it all. 

              He ignores me and turns me to face the wall, I'm half expecting him to begin reading me my rights, but he doesn't. 
              "You know I don't have anything," I tell him as he continues to frisk me, so angry that my heart feels like it's about to burst from my chest.
“I had three hundred dollars in my wallet and it’s gone and you’re the only one who could have taken it.” (Every day when Chris got off work, he would come in from the garage and lay his wallet on a dry sink by the door leading to the garage, or upstairs on the kitchen counter. Something he’d been doing since I was a kid.
“Listen, I never touched your wallet, you’re a cop, see if my fingerprints are on anything!” And he responds by shoving my face into the wall as he orders me to shut-up, telling me the only thing he wanted to hear come from my mouth was a confession. 
So I speak all the words he doesn't want to hear.
“Why would I steal from you? I came down for Christmas!”
He turns and flips the mattress off the bed and finding nothing under the bed and begins running his fingers through the discarded sheets, finding nothing he begins going  through the pillow cases.  
“Are you sure mom didn't take it, or that the kids by mistake, or that you didn't lose it?” (I halfheartedly believed they may have need lunch money and our mother had told them to get what they needed out of Chris's wallet, just as she had told me time and again back when I was growing up there.) 


But he doesn't care about anything I have to say I doubt he was even listening and he waits until I try to help by putting the mattress back on the bed, but he turns on me, shoving me, pushing me back up against the wall, he's screaming at me again, calling me a liar, a thief a delinquent, telling me how I had always been a punk, even though I have never been in any kind of trouble before.

 He threatens me with jail time, lecturing me how three hundred dollars is enough to qualify for a felony offense.
                (I hereby apologize in advanced for the language and any I may have let slip earlier on, but I feel it's required to be as accurate as possible)
“I didn’t take your God Damn money!” I shout back, with my hands trembling, I don't believe I've ever been this angry before, I didn't think it were possible. 
"Oh yes you did," He shouts rearing up towards me, hitting me with the hell of his hands, "You did!" He says again with another hard shove. I'm so angry I can barely see straight and I want to hit him, I want to hit back as hard I could, as many times as I could. But I don't, I just grit my teeth and do my best to refrain from the violence and rage I felt coursing through my veins. 

He takes a moment to stare into my eyes and I meet his gaze defiance, I had been bullied for most my life and a coward for almost half as long and I was tired of being afraid. After a beat he asks where my clothes were and I point to them as the hung on the closet door. He smiles and pulls them down, searching through the pockets and the folds in my clothes. Finding he nothing he throws them at me and orders me to get dressed. So I ask him to leave for a little and he whirls back like he's going to hit me and again I stay still and unflinching as he drops his fist, telling me no, he says,
       "No, I don't trust you I'm taking my eyes off you until you're out of my house."  

It's hard not to be a little scared seeing my a cop in uniform harassing you, let alone one acting like how he was and with him being my step-father. I don't like it, but still I dress as he watches, my hands never stop shaking. I want to hit something, I want to hit him, I'm angry, scared and frustrated by the absurdity of it all. 

Anyone can lose money, heck I lost money before, misplaced it even, or spent more than I thought. It happens. 
               
“Hurry up I don’t want you staying in my house any longer than you have too.” He says, watching me fumble with my clothes, but I still can't keep my hands from shaking I'm so angry now at the injustice of it all, with no outlet to channel my fury. Finding my voice I decide to try and  reason with him by saying, 
“Look, I've been nothing but cooperative and I think you know me better than this, I think you know I didn't take your money, maybe, just maybe you just lost it?” 

            “I didn’t lose it! He screams, charging at me, grabbing me by the collar do the shirt and yanking me up and practically off my feet, with his voice almost screeching at me as he repeats, "I didn't lose it, I didn't!"
Now, I'm sure he's going to hit me, perhaps even begin beating me to death, but he doesn't and I just hold his gaze, with my teeth clenched and breathing heavily as I don't know what to expect to come from him next. 
“You've always been sneaky and a little liar, you’re a fucking punk and you've always been a little shit.”
I take his comments in stride and careful speak each word as I very calmly say, 
“I never stole. I've never been in trouble-"
"Never been in trouble?" He interrupts, speaking in high, mocking tones, "But you dress up all in black and getting into fights at the the county fair!"  
"That was over five years ago and that's not what happened and you know it!"
 "Oh I know and just as I know you took my money," He tells me.
             "You know what fine, let's go down to the station and hook me up to a lie-detector test, I'll show you I'm telling the truth," I say, with the internal, emotional war raging beneath my breast making my words come out in an unsteady rush. My blood is boiling hot and I can't help but feel hurt, betrayed, scared angrier than I had ever been. I honestly didn’t know if I’d find myself sitting inside a jail cell by myself for Christmas or not.

Sneering, he grabs my arm, wrenching me away from the bed, pulling me out into the hallway saying, 
“Oh you won’t have a choice,” he says manically and with a smile that unnerves me to my very core,            “So you bet your ass you’ll be taking a polygraph and I’ll be there to see you fail,” He says rather matter-of-factly.
                
I don’t say a word, it's all I can do is to grit my teeth and and wait for release me, as I  do every I can to keep from going on the offensive. I wanted to hurt him more than I care to admit, I wanted to knock that sick and smug smirk off his face, but I reminded myself that he was a cop and in uniform, so it was likely  that was exactly what he wanted. 

Letting me go, he snorts and orders me downstairs and I take the steps two at a time, with him following close behind me. Once downstairs I immediately see my laptop is gone. I begin looking frantically around the rest of my bags for it, but to no avail, then Chris asks what I’m doing.

“I’m looking for my computer,” I tell him, not giving me the benefit of seeing my face.
“Oh, it’s mine now, I already took it and put it somewhere you’ll never get it,” He says derisively.
I turn on him then and I feel myself reaching my breaking point, with my heart feeling like it was fit to explode.
                “That’s not right man, you can’t take my computer.”
“No he says,” stepping into me and once again invading my personal space as he leers at me, jabbing me in the chest with his fat finger as he says, “I can do whatever I want, you’re a guest in my house, you have no rights here.” He's so pleased with himself that all I can see is red.   
   Fighting the urge to shove him away and start beating him with whatever object my hands could find, I swallow my rage, with my thoughts racing. All I can think about is turning the tables on him someway, somehow, to make him sorry for all of this.So I say the only thing I can think of saying, 
 “You’re crazy and if you don’t give me back my property..."
             "You'll what?"He asks, smiling, reminding me of every bully I ever met.
"I’ll call the police.” I figure the threat alone would be enough to bring him back to his senses and let him see reason. But instead he smiles and says,
“Why? They can’t do anything for you, there’s nothing you can do!” He laughs, taunting me,
“Besides who are you? You’re nobody, you’re no one, you don’t matter, I’m a cop, I’m a someone and there’s nothing the police can do for you. This is a domestic dispute and there’s nothing you, your father, or anyone else can do about it. This is my home and you're in my house and I can do whatever I want to you and no one can say or do anything about it." 
At this point the thought of beating him to death really doesn't seem all that bad, more to the point I'd at least wipe that sick toothy grin of his off his face. It was then I realize he was enjoying this and it felt like no matter what I did I was playing further into his sick little game.
Seeing that I had nothing else to say, he reaches into his pocket and pulls out the pocket-watch I had gotten him for Christmas, (I gave both of him and my mother their presents a bit early, hoping it’ll cure whatever it was I was feeling. Plus I halfheartedly believed they might have thought that I was only visiting so that I could get presents, which was why they were acting so peculiar so I had figured if they saw I actually put a thought of thought on getting them all presents, it would prove otherwise. Evidently it had not.) Chris then hands me the pocket-watch and tells me he doesn't need or want it anymore, so I should take it back. 


I snap, gripping the watch tightly in my hand, I fling it across the room, nearly kill my mom's parrot,(That was an accident and in my defense I wasn't thinking or aiming) and the watch bounces hard of the wall, leaving a sizable indention in the wall where it struck. 
Immature? Maybe, but it was enough to take that smug look off his face as he stormed across the room to examine the hole I put in the wall. I don't apologize, even as he tells me how I'll have to pay for it.  

 however to wipe the smirk off his face as he stormed across the room and flipped out about the hole I put in his wall. I don’t apologize, but he tells me I’d have to pay for it and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it at least a little bit. 
                “Look,” I manage to say with my voice stained as I fought to keep my hatred for him in check.                     “Search my bags, search everything you want, I don’t have your fucking money!” I spit the last few words out as I see his smile returning. 
                "I already searched your bags and went through all your things," He says contemptuously, closing the distance between us and shoves me painfully against the dry sink as he smiles at me again. At this point i hear my mother pulling into the garage and so does he and he backs off, his grin disappears and begins shouting at the top of his lungs, 
              “But I know you have it, or that you hid the money somewhere in this house and I’m not giving you back your computer until you give me my money, I’ll tell you that much right now.” My mom slips into the house, silent as a mouse not saying anything and I look at my step-father, seething with rage at his belligerence and the air of arrogance about him.   
                
            So I think of the only solution that I can to bring about a solution of some kind.
                “Fine…You win alright? I don't have your money, I never took it, but if you want, we can go to the bank together and I’ll withdraw three hundred dollars and I’ll give it to you in return for my computer.”
                “No!” He barks, “I don’t want your money, I want my money!”
                I look to my mom, hoping she heard what I heard, saw what I saw, but she just stands there, staring solemnly back at me.
                “What sense does that make? You’re accusing me of stealing three hundred bucks, I offer to get you three hundred bucks, but you say that's not good enough?”
                “No, I don’t want your stupid money, you don't have any money, I want my money!” He says venomloulsy , as if repeating the statement would somehow make any more sense.
                He then launches into a tirade, calling me every name he could think of and the whole time all I can do is stare back at my mother. I wait for her to step up, for her to be a mom, to defend me, to fight for me, to do or say something. But she doesn't. Instead she quietly asks if I took the money and frustrated I tell her that I had not, but how I wished I had.
             
                  Chris then says something about not being to tolerate the sight of me and tells my mother to have me gone by the time he returns.
                I look at her and try to plead with her to see some reason,
                “You can’t let him take my computer, my life’s work is on that thing and I hadn't backed anything up.”
                “Josh if you took the money, just tell me and you can give it to me and I'll tell him I took it.”
                “I didn’t take his money, but he did take my computer, and in my computer bag has library books inside it too, I can’t afford to replace everything. “
                She nods, and tells me she’ll talk to him. She then tells me to grab my things and she’d take me home.
                “Mom,” I reason, “ look at me, you have to know I’m better than this and that I wouldn't steal from you guys, or anyone else. Besides you know I’m a horrible liar and I've always admitted to any wrong I've done, granted when I was young I would try to hide it from you so that I wouldn't get beat. But I always admitted to what I did and I didn’t do this, never this; this is too big...this is too bad, too wrong.” ( Although I’ve always been fairly honest, during the course of my life, I have always been a practical jokester, but one thing I would never do is mess with someone else’s money.)
                “I don’t know what to believe,” She tells me.
                “He searched me, went through my things, didn’t find anything, no proof or evidence and I offered to get you 300 hundred dollars in order to get my computer back and you sat there as he told it wasn’t good enough. Why? Because if I stole from you, it makes no difference whose three hundred dollars you'll be getting, mine, or yours. This is wrong, all wrong, what do I have to do to get you to believe me?"
                “Josh you always do this and get overly dramatic."
                “Are you serious? You people took something very important to me and you did it without just cause, without proof and I’m being dramatic? I’ve been harassed and bullied, with my every attempt to be reasonable ignored or shot down.”
                “Well you could have hidden it somewhere,” She tells me and I throw my arms up in the air and shake my head.
“Really? That’s what you’re going to do, are you going to keep coming up with different things I could have done with his money? Do you have an excuse at the ready for everything I say or do?"
                “Josh, you’ve always been very spiteful and you probably just thought you were owed it,”
                “Are you kidding me? I forgave you, I came down on my weekends off work just to give you a free babysitting and all those times I never asked for anything, no compensation, nothing and all those times I came here I never once took anything, why would I suddenly do so now?”         
                 “Josh if you give me the money I can just tell Chris I-” My mother began before I cut her off.
                “There’s no money to be had, and despite whatever you may think, I didn’t take it and how stupid do you think I am? I don’t have a car, I have no getaway and I’m still here for a few more days, do you actually think I would be dumb enough to steal that kind of money and just sit back hoping you didn't notice it was missing?"
                “Josh, Chris has always been very careful and meticulous with his money,”
                “So, that doesn’t mean anything, he can still lose, or misplace it just like everyone else.”
                “Well why do you think he’s accusing you?” She asks, as we climb into her car.
                “Because,” I tell her as I climb into the passenger seat beside her, “I’m an easy target, he knows our history and all about the bad blood between us. I’m the easy mark.”
                My words must have had some effect, because she doesn’t say anything until we’re on the road and I’m watching the house fade away in the rear-view when she asks,
                “Do you think you’re being setup?” There was such clarity and innocence in the way she asked, I caught myself staring at her for a long time before I could answer. For a while I was thinking she had something to do with all of this, but now I wasn’t so sure and to be honest, I’m still not certain.
                But her words get me thinking and I think back about how he was asking about my laptop and how much it cost, how he refused the three hundred dollars I offered him and how quickly he was to accuse me of everything.
                “Yeah…Yeah I do,” I tell her.
                A few moments pass and she asks me why I thought he took my computer. So I tell her,
                “Because my computer is worth a lot more than three hundred bucks, which is why he was so quick to declined my offer when I made it.”
                Silence fills the car and after awhile I tell her everything that happened and how it happened since he woke me up. As I talk she's silent and never says a word, even when I'm finished she just sits there driving, never uttering a word.
               We drive the rest of the way in silence and I’ll be lying if I said I didn't think about grabbing the wheel and steering it into oncoming traffic, or to send us careening into a semi-truck. I was in a place of such darkness and hatred, it was consuming me.
So by the time she pulled up into my driveway I reached for the door and hesitated,
                “I’m giving you three days….” I whisper. “Three days to make this right, to return my computer to me. If you do this, we’ll be family; if you don’t….you’ll be dead to me.”
“Ok,” was all she said.

I opened the door and step out of the car and just as quietly I hear her say,
 “I love you,”
“We’ll see,” I respond, grabbing my things and slamming the car door shut behind me.

(I know, I know, I said there were just two chapters left. But it had gotten a bit long. So I had to break the final Chapter up into two parts. The conclusion I promise will be coming soon. )













No comments:

Post a Comment