Pages

Wednesday, October 9

Scars of Who We Are Chapter XIII

Chapter 13
We write to expose the unexposed. If there is one door in the castle you have been told not to go through, you must. The writer's job is to turn the unspeakable into words - not just into any words, but if we can, into rhythm and blues.”
― Anne Lamott

                A month after my suicide, I was a patchwork of emotions, struggling to pull and hold myself together all the while sensing that something foreboding was waiting for me somewhere off on the horizon and was looming ever coming closer with each passing day. I was afraid, but I also knew whatever was heading my way was something I would have to endure and that in time it would make me stronger, better.

The Grant County Fair
I had been working the night shift at Burger King and like most people’s first jobs I hated it. But it wasn't the grease burns, or the late hours, getting home every morning around two or three am and having to wash with lava soap just to get the smell of burgers and fries off me. I hated it because my life just felt worthless, I couldn't see my dad because I was often working and I was seeing my friends less and less. The situation was made worse by my mother who would come and bang on my door every morning at ten am, screaming at me to not sleep the day away, even though I had just got home, showered and unwound just a few hours before. I felt like I was becoming a zombie, just going through the motions. Wake up tired, shower again, eat a little breakfast and watch my little brothers before going in to work at seven.  I was nineteen and already felt myself falling into a boring and lonely routine.

     As if sensing my growing frustrations, my two best friends started visiting me at my work, often waiting hours after we've closed just to give me a ride home, since I had yet been able to procure a car.                       (Well I did technically get a car from my grandpa for my last birthday, but unbeknownst to me my mother gifted it to my older brother, until he was done with it and got a new car himself, allowing her to sell the car that was meant for me.)
Matt and his lovely wife.

                But Matt and Steven were like the brothers I never had, they enjoyed having me around and often went out of their way to make me feel accepted and loved. (which I so desperately needed, I didn't know it then, but looking back now, I know I was looking to fill those holes my family have left in me. So they became my family, filling in those holes I so desperately wanted…needed to be filled. Because family to me is what you say it is and doesn't always have to be defined by blood or marriage.)
Then one night after they picked me up from work and we sat around Matt’s pool discussing the summer and how his would be coming to a close because he was going into the Marines and would soon be leaving our little crew behind to protect and serve our country, discussing the possibility of this moment being the one moment in time that would never again come around, that this was it, the days of our youth was steadily winding down and we had to do something to commemorate this event and so we decided to have one last hurrah.
Our plan was to go attend the Grant County Fair, but for all of us to go in Goth, because we lived in a closed minded, back water little town, populated mostly by hillbillies and country bumpkins. Also for me at least it’s always been easier for me to act carefree when I’m dressed up and adopt the characteristics of someone else. I no longer cared what any of these people thought or would say to me, so in a way I guess we were just trying to make a statement against conformity, to be someone else other than ourselves.  Once there Matt decided to have a little fun by staging a fake fight with another one of our friend, John and being young and stupid we all agreed it’ll be fun to see and it was and almost resulted in us being booted out of the fair. But once everyone figured out it was all faked, everything was well and good, with the rest of the night becoming most memorable indeed.  Although I must confess, the whole time I kept an eye out for Sherry, hoping to see her somewhere in the sea of people there at the Grant County Fair.
Steven


It took three days for word of our shenanigans to get around to my mother and Chris (My step-father.) and they none too pleased and I had been asleep for a mere five and a half hours when they came banging on my door, screaming at me to open up the door. Bleary eye and sleep deprived from working even later than I usually did, I opened the door just to be immediately shoved inside as they forced their way into my room, with the accusations already flying.

Immediately they began questioning me about the fair and I answered honestly, thinking it was no big deal and did my best to explain the situation for what it was, our one last hurrah before we risked never seeing our friend again. But they weren’t having it, instead I found myself being accused of being in a suicidal cult and how I was tarnishing Chris’s good name as a police officer and for the first time in my life I found the conviction to finally stand up for myself and cry, “Bullshit!” and reminded them that I never once gotten in any kind of trouble, I never once broke the law, or drank, did any drugs and I never caused any problems at school.
But my mother wouldn't have it, she stepped to me and started jabbing me in the chest with her finger, telling me I was to call Matt, Steven and the others and tell them how I could no longer be friends with them. An act I couldn't find more humiliating and so I stood my ground and defiantly told her no.
                She hadn't expected my answer and I knew from her body language that she had expected me to give in, that I would cave as I always did. But I didn’t and when she asked what I meant I told her.
                “Look, my friends and I all graduated High-School,  and none of them have ever been in any kind of trouble, or been arrested, none of them smoke or do drugs, they’re good and they’ve been good to me and they’ve been there for me than you ever were. They’re my family and have been my family in all the ways you never could be, I won’t turn my back on them for you. “ 
                “I don’t care,” She says, “You either call  your friends up right now and tell them you can’t be friends with them-“
                “Mom,” I interrupt, “I’m nineteen, I’m not my brother and my friends aren’t his friends, mine are better.”
                (Which was the truth, my brother’s friends have all been, or gone to prison…some still are and almost all of them have either been expelled or dropped out of high-school, with most of them already hooked drugs, or alcohol. Unlike my friends who worked hard, kept their noses clean and help motivate and even tutor me on their own when I was falling behind.   
                “Call them, or we’re kicking you out!” She screamed and I smiled. Because I realized her threats didn’t bother me anymore, I was free and my eyes were finally opening to all the lies she ever told me. This was what my father had kept trying to warn me would happen. My mother was going to kick me out because she had no further need of me, no child support and me longer the prisoner she always wanted me to be.
“Alright…I’m gone.” I rasp and I pick up my phone as she asks me where I’m going to go and so I tell her, “I think I’ll go live with my dad for a little while.”  
                She watches me then as I pick up the phone and dial my dad’s number, telling him I needed a place to stay that I was being kicked out and he told me he’d be on his way.
                When I hung up my mother started going off on me, rattling off everything that was wrong with me, how weak and pathetic I was, that I was nothing but an ugly little coward. I didn’t expect any less from the very woman who told me much of the same for my whole life and just quietly packed up my things as she followed me around, accusing me of being a mischievous liar, always sneaking around and how my dad wouldn’t put up with my attitude or behavior, along with every little thing I did wrong since I was seven and how one day my father would end up beating me to death.  Which was when I finally snapped.
“Enough!” I barked, “Just stop it okay, seriously when does it does it stop with you? You won alright? I’m moving out, you can stop blaming me and holding me accountable for things I did when I was seven. Because believe it or not I was a good kid and despite what you think, I was always just misunderstood. But still I grew up and I’ve changed, I’m not being all sneaky and seeing what all I can get into any more, because yes, I do remember how I used to sneak around and look in people’s  cupboards, search rooms, look in closets and sneak off, but you know what I was seven! That’s what kids do, I never stole or took anything except for candy from candy jars, but I was a kid. And yes, I use to lie so that I wouldn’t get in trouble and to avoid getting the paddle, but I was eight years old and you act like it was yesterday. For crying out loud, haven’t you noticed in the past ten years that I’ve always admitted to things I’ve done and would only deny the things I hadn’t, letting you beat a false confession out of me, that you would then use to further incriminate me for things I hadn’t done, just so that you could have someone to blame for everything that’s wrong.
                “Josh you’ve always been a liar and vindictive, trying to get back at me cause you think you’ve been done wrong!” She snapped back.
                “Are you kidding me?” I asked, “And why would you think, that I would think that? Could it be you know you’ve been treating me wrong all these years and you think I’m like you and just been holding it all inside until I can get a little payback? That’s sick and I think you’re sick.”
                “Josh I can’t believe you would say that,” she shot back.
                Shrugging, I shake my head,
                “Do you ever stop to wonder about why it is you think I’m such a horrible person? My whole life all you ever done was blame me for things I didn’t do and whenever I would try to plead my innocents you wouldn’t stop beating me until I confessed and would always hold that confession against me, telling me it’s why you could never believe me, because I confessed to you the last time after fervently denying something I told you I didn’t do. But do you recall how many times and how long it would take of you beating the hell out of me before I confessed? Did you ever once stop to think that I would have admitted to anything if it would have stopped you from hurting me, grounding me, punishing me and making me go without dinner?               
               No matter what I did or what happened you would judge me as being guilty before even speaking to me and automatically assumed the worse about me when I gave you no grounds to do so.  I’ve always been a good kid, stayed out of trouble, always doing what I was told, what I should, so much so I often get teased for always being so straight laced and afraid of ever doing anything even remotely bad or wrong. But you see only what you want to see in me and I’m tired of it. I’m tired of the threats, the accusations and being treated like a second class citizen, so I’m done, you got your wish, and I’m no longer your son.”

              
                Then I shook my head grabbed my bags and shoved my way past her, to wait out in the driveway for my father to pick me up. My heart was still racing, I never spoken to my mother like that before, heck until then I barely even stood up for myself…like ever. It felt good, if not a little scary and hurtful, because I finally admitted what I never had to courage to really face. Which was there was nothing I could do, nothing I could ever say, my mother hated me and would always see me as some stupid delinquent that she could bully and manipulate. Although a part of me was already looking back, thinking about my little brothers and how much I would miss them, imagining there reaction when they would ask about me and dreading whatever lies my mother would feed them. But this was something I had to do, I had to cut ties with my mother no matter how much it hurt, otherwise I would simply drown.

          But little did I know, that my mother's little rein of terror upon my life was far from over....


 

No comments:

Post a Comment