Pages

Wednesday, June 5

The Scars of Who We Are Chapter IX

Scars of Who We Are Part IX
Young boy sitting on an old porch swing,
Waiting for his father to come and rescue him,
His tears dried and stained on his cheeks,
Wishing his life was more like his dreams,
Where nothing was ever as bad as it seems.


Me all dressed up for Easter Sunday
                After the divorce it wasn't long until my relationship with my mother began to change for the worse... But for a brief moment, I was somewhat okay with it, even though I longed and hoped my dad would one day return home, I did somewhat look forward to having two birthdays and Christmas's every year, which for me was something and my dad always went above and beyond to give me a great Christmas, along with birthday celebrations I won't soon forget.

                  It never did occur to me that my mother may have been better to me in those days just to keep me quiet about Chris who moved in with us just months after the divorce and to be honest I did like him for awhile there in the beginning, I think for the most part he did try to be a good fatherly figure to both me and my brother, so I didn't have any real issue, plus he was a cop which back then was very cool, because who didn't play cops and robbers when they were a kid?

            His family was pretty cool too, and his dad Lewis was the best, always with a story to tell and with him being an actor, he always managed to keep me captivated with his emoting and his many voices. Not to mention the guy was awesome, always giving me pennies which back then could always win my favor, (Because I was always collecting and saving up change) Even to this day I will say no one can ask for a cooler step grandparent.
Universal Studies! This made my year.

                But I digress, because the day when everything changed for me was maybe a couple of months after Chris had started living with us and I was playing with my toys at the top of the steps, (which back then were mostly Teenage mutant Ninja turtles, which were my favorite. I can't tell you why, but to me, you couldn't get much better than the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I loved everything about them, the toys, the cartoons, the movies, games, you name it I loved it.


                So there I was, playing on the top of the stairs, with my Turtles tank, and sub-marine, along with my various other Turtle related figures and (playing on the top of the stairs, was something both my brother and I were notorious for; partially because we’d be in our own little world and still be somewhat near the rest of the family and not closed off. Not to mention it made the best battlefield, the stairs in my mind would become treacherous mountain region, or become the the deep and unfathomable depths the ocean, with its perilous  underwater trenches. So, yeah I had a pretty spectacular imagination and still do.

             
   It wasn't too out of the ordinary for my mother to yell for one of us, which usually meant we made a mess somewhere, or didn't put something away, or other typical kid stuff, that we do when we're kids. So when I heard my mom yelling for me to get my butt into the kitchen, I honestly didn't think anything of it, besides being a curious/nosy child I was pretty good and usually behaved myself, so I went knowing I hadn't done anything wrong, so didn't expect what happened to actually happen...

                 I stepped into the kitchen, expecting to be asked what I wanted for lunch, or to hear I had to get cleaned up to go out, but instead I was asked about a carton of grape juice that someone had left out on the kitchen table. Immediately I knew it wasn't me, because back then I was the pickiest child in the world and I refused to drink anything other than orange, or apple juice, or well soda of course.

               But I was extremely pick with both food and with what beverages I would drink, which may have been my downfall, because I smiled, knowing it hadn't been me and believed my older brother would finally get into trouble instead of me. Because to be honest I had grown a little tired of him always getting me in trouble and this time I figured I was being the first questioned and with my being innocent, that all blame would fall on him.
 
             I couldn't have been more wrong. Because when she asked if I did it and I honestly told her no, she grabbed my arm, wrenching it painfully up over my head with her nails biting painfully into my arm, which startled me enough as it were, then she began screaming into my face, accusing me of lying.

              Shaking me and swearing to me that she already knew it was me and she was sick of my lying, even as tears began racing down my cheeks, with me frantically telling her how it wasn't me, trying to blurt out the words that I didn't even like that kind of juice and that I hadn't drank anything that day other than water. But she wouldn't have it and smacked me hard across the face, leaving what felt like a burning imprint of her hand across my cheek, as she struck me again and again, ordering me now to stop crying.

               I tried once more to to profess my innocence, but that only earned me several hard smacks to my rear, each one hard enough to lift me up off my feet, causing her nails to cut even deeper into my arm and as blood began to well up where her nails had bit into my arm, it was only then she released my arm and stopped hitting me enough to tell me how it was my fault for trying to throw myself to the floor when she held me by the arm. Then she proceeded to question me again and in a tearful display I tried once again to plead my innocence, but she grabbed me hard by the face, painfully squeezing my cheeks as she told me she already asked Dominic (My brother) and told me he had said he hadn't done it, then I tried suggesting it was Chris (My soon to be step dad) When she told me he wouldn't forget to return the juice and when I tried telling her it wasn't me, she smacked me again, hauling me up off the floor and began beating me again, telling me every few swats that she would stop once I confessed and stop lying, insisting I was only making it worse for myself.

            So... seeing no end in sight, I did what any frighted and scared boy my age would do, I confessed. I would have confessed to anything at that point and my reward was a whipping with the paddle, eight swats, (As if the beating I had been receiving hadn't been punishment enough) Then I was grounded on top of it and ordered not to make a noise or she would give me something more to cry about.

         



      I was seven years old, the first time I felt any kind hate, seven and I was already beginning to learn real fear and began my back and forth battle with myself, trying to figure out if my mother truly hated me or not. I was seven years old, when I made the biggest mistake of my life, because I was never allowed to forget this day. I was reminded every time I ever gotten into trouble, innocent or not my mother would bring this instance up, would remind me of my confession and that confession would forever mark me a liar. So I was never found innocent, even though 9 out of 10 times when I did do wrong, I would readily admit it once question and when I wasn't guilty, I would get beaten and reminded of how big of a liar I was and how I had brought every punishment onto myself. Because if I lied once, in my mom's world, I was a liar forever and always, allowing no room for innocence, ever. This would follow me up through my mid-twenties, when I was believe it or not, still being judged and weighed by things she had accused me of since I was seven. Making me wonder sometimes if I would have been better off if I would have just let her beaten me to death.....

             Eventually, over the years I began to withdraw, keeping more and more to myself. Something I still struggle with today, because back in those days, I slowly learned the less of a presence I made of myself, the less I would be notice and the less i would be beaten. 
 
          I still remember, sitting in my room that day, wanting to destroy or break something in order to let out at least some of what I felt inside. So after beating my pillow flat, and punching my mattress into oblivion, I sat fuming in my room until my brother finally came home. It took him all of two seconds to realize something was wrong and I was upset and when he asked me what was wrong, I exploded, with my first words being "Mom hates me," And he was quick to assure me that she didn't. So I explained what happened and he was just like,
        "Oh...." Then he smiled sheepishly and when I asked him about his smile, he said,
         "I think I did leave the juice out." And he was so cavalier about it I wanted to kill him, probably would have too if I didn't also idolize him. Instead I told him I got punished for it and that he should tell our mom, which he claimed he would, but I doubt he ever did, but never before did I feel so alone.

           It wasn’t until I was 15 that I learned it was all a game to her. I know this, because she all but told me it was. I was in my room and someone had broken a vase and when she came to my room and asked if it was me, I sighed, already knowing I hadn't even touched the vase, or even knew one was broken in the first place. But, as she went on about how someone tried hiding it in the trash, underneath a bunch of stuff, which she was already claiming to be my usual M.O, I figured, "What the heck, what I can I really lose a this point?"
        So with a sigh, I made my final false confession and I swear I could have knocked her over with a feather. She simply just stared at me, dumbstruck, before finally throwing her arms up in the air and saying and I quote,
       "It's not even fun anymore, if you're not even trying to defend yourself!" And then just like that, she turned and stormed off, never punishing me, or bringing up the case of the broken vase ever again.

     That said, she never did stop bringing up the first instance in my life with the juice, anytime my character was brought into question, she would bring my childhood back up and throw it back into my face. But adding how devious and sneaky I "always" was, because apprently kids arn't suppose to ever explore, like I used to whenever I went somewhere new, like my aunt's mansion. I would explore, look in all the drawers, explore every closet, etc. I was a kid, kid's explore. I tried telling her this once, but she wouldn't have it, sticking to her opnion that I was a sneaky little devil and would always be thus. This she kept up until just four years ago, when I had tried mending fences and when I thought everythign was going well and began, or thought I was forging a brand new relationship with her, until things fell apart and I was accused of something I would never do and that's when I finally had enough.
 I 
                "Enough," I shouted, exhausted and just tired of the whole ugly situation, (which I will talk about later in more detail)
               "Just enough already," I begged her, "you can’t keep judging me by how I was when I was seven. I was seven years old and I was a kid, but you use that to hold me accountable for things I never did and the worse part of it is, unlike my older brother, I never got into any trouble at school, or with the law, I was a good kid, I never gave you any problems, I never rebelled, I never broke curfew, I never been in any kind of trouble whatsoever, but you still hold me accountable for everything I did since I was seven, as if I'm incapable of ever changing or growing as a person. I'm so tired of you being so quick to call me liar and all these horrible things all because you believe I always lied as a kid. But truth is…truth is, I remember everything and the reasons you have for thinking I'm such a horrible person and liar, is because you wouldn't ever let anything go, you would beat me until i confessed and not once did you ever question it. You never once realized that I always admitted to the things I did do wrong and if I ever said no to anything you would beaten me until I said yes. Whatever you have against me, let it go, please just let it go, I’m not a bad person I never was, all I wanted was a relationship with you and not because I had some grand ulterior motive, that makes you think I was just trying to get back at you for past wrongs. Which begs the question why, why would you think I would want to get back at you, unless in your heart of hearts you know you've done me wrong and this is your guilt, you want to believe I’m just like you, when I’m not.”
           
               She responded by hanging up on me and we hadn't spoken since and the crazy thing is, if she would find me and ask me for forgiveness, making just an attempt to amend past wrongs, I would forgive her, I would talk to her and never bring up the past ever again. I would start a fresh new relationship with her,  But that’s just who I am and the weight I carry and unfortunately as time goes by I know that will never happen. Even though every time the phone rings, or I check the mail, I pray to find something from her, at least telling he she's out there thinking about me somewhere, at the very least an apology....And maybe an explanation other than the one I tell myself, which is that she's sick and needs help, or medication, or something to help unburden this weight I carry.

What I dream about, a happy reunion with my mother.

 


  

1 comment:

  1. You are one sick individual.

    Its so easy to lie to those who dont know the real story, but let me assure you there are two sides to this story.

    And since you wont tell anyone what happened I will: Joshua Cooper stole a few hundred dollars from his mom during christmas. When confronted, he stated his innocence and agreed to a lie detector test at the local police station, that he did in fact FAIL.

    Josh will never be a MAN, and admit his wrongs, that we are all capable of. Instead (like the guilty often do) he points his finger at the everyone else to remove blame, and remain the victim. After all these years he is still beating that drum.

    Let it go man, you failed a lie detector test, nothing will ever change that, move on. These stories you are writting are false, and even though you may have fooled those reading, you and I both know the truth. I was there too, and no abuse ever occured. This is kind of sad, how dillusional you have become because of this. Stop your crying, grow up, and move on. Everyone else has.

    Its easy to write words on paper, and call it the truth, aint it? Nothing drives someone further than guilt.





    ReplyDelete